If you can’t find the answer to your question here, please don’t hesitate to contact us for any further information you require.

What should I call these things: Drones, UAVs or RPA?

There is a lot of debate and history behind why there are so many different terms for what is essentially the same thing. The term drone goes back a long way to when they were mainly used for target practice by the military. People in the industry tend to call them Unmanned Aerial Vehicles or UAVs for short, partly to try and differentiate them and what we do from the military applications that are more commonly associated with the term drone. From September 2016 the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) decided to follow the International Civil Aviation Organisation terminology and the term Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) was replaced by Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA).

What kind of footage can you achieve?

You might be surprised at what we can capture. Our cameras are mounted on stabilised gimbals that communicate directly with the aircraft to compensate for even the smallest movement. This gives us amazingly steady footage and results that used to only be achievable with a large budget, cranes and aircraft. As well as advanced stabilisation our cameras are able to deliver Ultra High Definition (4K) footage and everything in between to full HD (1080p). Unlike most other aerial cameras, we can also deliver RAW footage as well as the more common MP4 or MOV formats.

What file types can you supply me with?

Depending on what data you require we can supply a number of different file formats.
Photos can be provided in RAW or in any of the standard picture file types such as jpg.
Videos can be RAW, MOV or MP4.
Aerial survey and photogrammetry data can be provided in formats to suit most GIS and CAD systems.

How big does my job have to be?

There is no limit on what kind of job a UAV may be suitable for. We would love to opportunity to discuss your requirements and how we can help, whether it’s a small real estate shoot or a large Hollywood production.

Can you fly at night?

Yes, We hold a current exemption from CASA that allows us to fly after dark. This means that our procedures and training have been assessed by CASA and they have granted us an exemption from the regulations that usually prohibit flying UAV's at night. The granting of a night flying exemption is only available to licensed UAV operators who have developed appropriate policies and procedures covering night time operations and who have had these assessed as suitable by CASA.

How far can you fly?

Our Remote Piloted Aircraft can fly up to 2.5km from the controller. We are however limited by CASA regulations that require us to have visual contact with our aircraft at all times. Depending on the location and other variables, this means that the maximum distance we can fly is usually around 700m.

How long can you fly for?

We usually fly for between 15-20 minutes on each battery, but each flight is slightly different depending on the payload, wind and what kind of flying is required. We have enough batteries and charging facilities to ensure that we can fly almost continuously all day. Landing to change batteries only takes around 1 minute.

Where are you located?

Our office is in Old Bar on the Mid North Coast of NSW. This positions us perfectly to be able to quickly and easily access all major transport routes across NSW. Location is no barrier to us and we can drive, fly or walk into any location that we need to in order to get the job done.

Do you have insurance?

We have 20 million dollars in public liability insurance. Have a look at our Licensing and Qualifications page for more detailed information.

Can you work in all weather?

Unfortunately weather is a limiting factor. As our UAVs contain sensitive electronics they can be affected by excessive moisture. As with any type of flying, weather conditions such as fog and wind also play a role in our decision about if we can proceed. We conduct a risk assessment prior to every flight and there are many factors that are considered before we may make the decision to postpone the flight until a time when it is safe.

What certificates do you have?

Please have a look at our Licensing and Qualifications page for more details about all our certificates, you can rest assured that we operate under our own UOC (Unmanned Operators Certificate) issued by CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority). This certificate permits us to operate Remote Piloted Aircraft commercially, anywhere in Australia. We also have numerous other exemptions and approvals, all of which are detailed on our Licensing and Qualifications page.

Is there anywhere you can’t fly?

Generally speaking we can fly anywhere in Australia. There are restrictions around some airports and restricted airspaces that require additional approvals prior to being allowed to fly. Check out our Restrictions page for additional information on factors that can affect when and how we fly.

How much does it cost to hire a UAV?

Due to the variety of services that we provide it is impossible to give a set price. We quote each job individually and the price includes not only the flying but all image and data processing through to providing you with your final product. If you would like a quote please contact us and we can discuss your requirements.

How long does it take before you can commence my job?

Before we can actually turn up on site there is an extensive planning process that needs to be undertaken. As each job is different, the amount of time we need to spend on planning will vary. In order to ensure the success of your job we need to look at a number of factors including the area of operation, time of day, expected weather conditions and if any additional approvals are required. The more you communicate with us and the more information we have, the better we can ensure the success of your job.
Once we actually arrive on site and ensure that all our safety standards are met, we can be set up and flying in as little as 10 minutes.

What safety measure do you have in place?

We have a stringent safety policy covering both our staff and our operations. Every job is assessed from a safety perspective prior to staff even attending a site. Once on site an additional safety assessment is carried out to double check that the original assessment is still valid. Every flight must be authorised by our chief controller, this allows for anything that may have been overlooked to be picked up and a second perspective on any possible safety issues. We are not operating our UAV’s for a hobby, they are dangerous machines that can cause serious injury or death if not operated professionally and safely. When we attend a site, we will require an area that we can designate as an exclusion area for us to take off and land from and to ensure the safety of everyone involved.

Can’t I just use a friend who has a drone and said they will do it cheaply for me?

Operating a UAV for hire or reward without the proper licenses and approvals is illegal in Australia. It is unlikely that a hobby drone enthusiast would have insurance cover that would be valid in the event of an accident in this situation either. Always ensure that you use a properly licensed and insured commercial UAV company for your own protection.